History of Southwold

Dating back to the Doomsday book, a settlement has existed at Southwold. In 1489, Southwold received its town charter from Henry VII. Although in its past, it was a bustling market town, Southwold is now it is more known as a relaxing holiday location.

Lighting the Way and the Famous Son

With its location at the mouth of the River Blythe, Southwold has always been a port. Although the build up of shingle in the harbour stopped it expanding vastly, Southwold was still used by many vessels. The Lighthouse, built in 1887, was constructed to replace 3 smaller lighthouses. These lighthouses were being threatened by coastal erosion, meaning that a new method was needed to guide boats into Southwold Harbour. Standing at 31m and visible from 17 miles out to sea, the lighthouse dominates the town and surrounding landscape.

Website by Starsol Ltd Contact Us