Customs House

King's Lynn

The town, found at the base of the wash, has been a port since the Middle Ages.

The Bishop's Lynn

King's Lynn was originally known as Bishop's Lynn. The settlement, formed around the 11th Century, was owned by Bishop De Losinga from whom it gained it's name. The word Lynn means pool and probably referred to a tidal pool from the River Ouse. In 1101, the people of the town were granted permission to hold a Saturday Market which has taken place ever since. For more information visit our History Page on the town portal.

For more information about the town, please see our King's Lynn portal site.

Website by Starsol Ltd Contact Us